Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack for 68 convertible.

Hi everyone,

Im pretty new to the classic mustang world having recently bought a 1968 302 convertible. There are a few mods I’d like to make, one if which is better steering. I’d really like the steering to be more responsive and so I think that I’d like to do away with the original steering Box and install a steering rack.
    does anyone know how easy this is to do and if there is a kit available to do this? Has anyone on here done this and can give me the benefit of their experience.

Before you go down that route I would check all your current set up for wear and any adjustment. I find that my car steers perfectly well for a classic car, not as good as a modern Mustang but then again it isn't one.
    I do believe PhilK on here has fitted a fair few racks and will be able to offer advice and would be able to fit it for you if that is the route you choose.

Comment

Good advice above.
      I've fitted one some years ago to a 65 and to be honest I didn't really think it was worth the effort. Yes it made the steering slightly more direct feeling but that just showed up the shortcomings of everything else. Also lost quite a bit of travel so you had to be careful pulling out of tight junctions and manoeuvring in multi storeys etc. The stock setup is more than adequate IF it's in good order. It's total xxxxe if it's worn out.

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys, that’s very interesting to hear, I did have my car checked over buy Modurstang who are fairly local to me, they told me that the current steering was just what it was, and that I couldn’t expect it to be much better than it currently is. Maybe I need a second opinion.
        I just don’t feel totally in control when travelling quickly on narrow country roads. I would like it to feel more like a modern car to drive. It feels a bit wallowy and with lots of play in the wheel, and not always heading in the direction I’m pointing it in.

Comment

manual or power?

Comment

Originally posted by Ross Pateman View Post
            Thanks for your responses guys, that’s very interesting to hear, I did have my car checked over buy Modurstang who are fairly local to me, they told me that the current steering was just what it was, and that I couldn’t expect it to be much better than it currently is. Maybe I need a second opinion.
            I just don’t feel totally in control when travelling quickly on narrow country roads. I would like it to feel more like a modern car to drive. It feels a bit wallowy and with lots of play in the wheel, and not always heading in the direction I’m pointing it in.
            It might wallow around due to knackered shocks and balloon tyres and cart springs on the back!
            Saying that it shouldn't have play in the wheel, I haven't driven a p/s car but have heard that they are very light. As for driving quickly on narrow country roads, you need to remember its a classic car and need to take that into consideration.
            If you do have a rack fitted then of course the brakes, tyres, suspension will probably be letting you down and will need to change them. Over the years I have considered all these things on our 66 coupe. in the end I accepted I would drive it like the classic it is and bought a modern Mustang as well!
            Let us know how you get on.
            Mike knows his stuff so I doubt you really need a second opinion.

Comment

Thanks

It has power steering, shocks are new but tyres are quite ballon like, brakes are really good. im Not too keen to mess with the wheels or start lowering the car as I love the stance as he is.

Comment

First thing you can try relatively cheaply is eliminating the p/s control valve with the manual adapter. Remove the pump belt but leave the pump on in case you want to reinstate the system. As long as you keep the original diameter steering wheel, make sure the ball joints are well greased anf don't go crazy stupid on tyre size you'll be fine. As you already have the quick ratio box I think you'll see a big improvement in feel.

Comment

Borgeson power steering. Many racks have a limited turning radius and we have had fits with one of the makes of system being very notchy and ended up, after 2 systems on that car going with Borgeson.

If going a rack I would suggest Randals racks as the one on my Shelby Clone is a delight
                  Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                  We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

If you have power steering then the steering box should be ok because the rack takes the load to turn the steering. With the engine off there is a lot of slack with power steering because the steering box is moving the hydraulic shuttle valve side to side to in the control valve to allow hydraulic pressure to the ram. This is perfectly normal and how it works. Some MoT stations don't understand this system and think there is play at the control valve.

If you search on here you will find some stuff on rack conversions but people have had some problems, mainly with the quality of the aftermarket racks and leaks. Personally I wouldn't go that way. The steering can be improved with the Shelby drop and a 1" roll bar, but in the end, as people have said, its an old car and drives that way I also fitted the export brace and a Monte Carlo bar to my car and that stiffened the front a bit.
                    Allan

Comment

Don't forget wheel alignment is probably out of spec.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your knowledge on this, I think I should maybe persevere a bit more with the original steering box, maybe get wheels alignment checked out as. Maybe a rebuild of the original steering system. Cheers everyone.

Comment

Hello Ross

I have a 68 Borgeson power steering system on the shelf I could be convinced to sell

I also have a rebuild 68 power steering system somewhere in the shop as well.

Cheers. Peter
                          Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                          We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Thanks, my 68 does have power steering already, it’s just a bit sloppy for my liking.

Comment

Working...
                            X