Advice on headers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on headers.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on headers.

I've got a 67 Coupe - V8, 4 Speed Manual without power steering and power brakes.

I'm looking for a pair that clear all the above and just bolt on without any modifications, any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Chris

Tri-Y headers are always a good bet for relatively mild street engines. Very easy to fit.

David

Comment

Shorty headers are your best bet

Tri Y long headers have a pretty good record of fitting but I have bought a set a while back and it was like they were from a different car. But cars have come in with them fitting fine

long tubes are always bent up and dented to fit with damage to the lower flanges from hitting the ground
      Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
      We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

You've probably already done this but before you add headers make sure you upgraded to 4bbl carb, decent intake manifold and better heads (or at least bigger valves). Otherwise you'll probably feel a reduction in performance particularly at the lower rpm range. Everything has to work together.

Comment

Factor in extra fabrication to connect to Tri-Y's and Shorty headers if you are buying a standard header back exhaust. Also maybe a mini starter or heat shield to stop the starter frying.

Eddie

Comment

Jumping onto the thread here as I have the same question.

Differing opinions as usual ! But living in a country area and work taking me down farm tracks on occasion, looks as though Shorties may be better from a ground clearance point of view?

Comment

Nice set of patriots on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203128015063

Comment

Yeah, cheers for that, Sawyles !

Later - Seems strange - seller says it doesn't fit his 260, yet the visible number on the headers checks out as fitting all the '60s small blocks. Have messaged him asking whether it's a bolt hole or clearance issue.
                Last edited by superaquarama; 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Bought those Patriot headers, Sawyles, they look great. The vendor found they wouldn't fit his 260 due to a clearance issue on the passenger side, but there seems to be oodles of room on the '68. May be a bit close to the steering box on the other side but hey, Patriot ought to know what they're doing so fingers crossed for when I get them fitted with a new stainless exhaust system.

Comment

Originally posted by superaquarama View Post
                    Jumping onto the thread here as I have the same question.

Differing opinions as usual ! But living in a country area and work taking me down farm tracks on occasion, looks as though Shorties may be better from a ground clearance point of view?
                    I lowered the front of my car by 2" and found that long headers were virtually scraping the ground so resorted to shorties. The long headers were very close to the steering box and also the starter. Maybe the Patriots will be better designed than the headers I bought.
                    Allan

Comment

Originally posted by superaquarama View Post
                      Bought those Patriot headers, Sawyles, they look great. The vendor found they wouldn't fit his 260 due to a clearance issue on the passenger side, but there seems to be oodles of room on the '68. May be a bit close to the steering box on the other side but hey, Patriot ought to know what they're doing so fingers crossed for when I get them fitted with a new stainless exhaust system.

Excellent let us know how they go

Comment

Working...
                      X