68 302 oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

68 302 oil??

Can someone please tell me what Oil I need to top up my 68 302 please? Haynes manual just says multi grade, google searches just come up with conflicting confusing information!

I use 20w-50 Valvoline VR1 in all my older engines,you probably need old fashioned mineral oil rather than modern synthetic ones.

Comment

Thank you. Problem solved now. It dawned on me just now that Chris Ellis gave me a folder with the car, in that folder I just found a had written note from him telling me to only ever use 20/50 high zinc mineral oil. So that’s what I will do.
      Chris was going to be my mustang mentor, but his recent accident has meant that he can’t be on call: but I’m sure he will be very happy that you guys are stepping in for him while he’s away!!!

Comment

That's why I use the Valvoline VR1 as it meets the specs required for our older engines,especially the zinc content needed to help keep the cam lobes!

Comment

Quite, don't use synthetic ! A mate of mine who's much into oils suggested trying it. On a 250 mile journey in our 3.4 Jaguar to the Revival one year I tried his idea, but when we got to Chichester I noticed the oil pressure gauge going to zero on a roundabout - dived into the next garage to find the level just showing on the tip of the dipstick ! Filled up with a 20/50 and normality was restored. Must have used at least a litre every 100 miles, as opposed to about 500 miles on 20/50.

Comment

After a bit of research when I bought my car a few years back, I decided on EXOL optiguard 10W-30 Mineral oil for my 302 . It has high Zinc level. Never had any problem.

Comment

https://www.classic-oils.net/Classic...cle-Car-10W-30

or

https://www.classic-oils.net/Classic...Heritage-20W50

I've found the above to be plenty good enough. Note the higher zinc content?
              One brand mine didn't like too much was Penrite...no idea why?
              Delivery is prompt from the above too.....plus, their website has a technical explanation of what is what.

Comment

Why why?

Comment

Originally posted by u118075 View Post

Why why?
                  Tried it recently, as it was more closely matched to Ford's original recommendation [ a commonplace multigrade available at the time in the USa..much like the uk's 20/50 was?].....but I found some of my hydraulic followers started to not fill...so, as a 'test', I went back to my older stuff, and the followers have settled once more.
                  The price difference was negligible....
                  [Costs are vital to me, being a limited pensioner....so replacing tappets, and not being able to use the car in the meantime, is something I wanted to avoid.]

Comment

I was given some Joe Gibbs 15W50 racing oil with high zinc content from the previous owner, it’s fully synthetic. You can get the same spec in mineral which is about 10 cheaper for 5l. I wondered about synthetic vs mineral and so did some research (I’d always understood synthetic oils to be better due to higher temperature stability and better shear resistance etc). I think the fear of synthetic oils stems from early experience when the were first sold in the 70’s and they weren’t compatible with some of the seal materials of the day, this issue was fixed long ago apparently. Having said all that, if you’re changing your oil each year with relatively low miles you won’t benefit from synthetic’s increased durability.

Comment

I change the oil in my car once a year (289). It now does around 5000 miles between changes. My main reason for changing the oil is that it might be attracting moisture in a 12 month period of intermittent use. On these old engines that are not working hard I don't think it needs the top quality high performance synthetic oils. You just need a good oil with some zinc (ZDDP) for the flat tappet cam.
                      Allan

Comment

Working...
                      X