Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless exhaust for '68 289 with twin system

Hi Guys,

Tearing my hair out trying to find a company that will do a custom system. E-mailed Magnaflow and Powerflow twice but neither has responded. Yes, I could phone them, but if they can't be bothered to reply to e-mails you have to wonder what their finished product would be like too....

You can buy systems from NPD and CJ etc., but then you've no idea what they're going to sound like. And most of them exclude the convertible anyway, something to do with the chassis members being different on the 'vert.

So does anyone in the W Midlands / Cheshire / N Wales / Liverpool area have any knowledge or experience of suitable firms ? Otherwise might just give up and get another stock mild steel aluminised system from NPD - the old one's lasted about 20 years so they're not bad !

Thanks,

Anthony

It might be a bit too far away from you but I had a custom stainless steel system built by a company called P.D. Gough in Nottingham. I'm very impressed with the quality of their work and willingness to work with me to design the ideal setup.

For my system, they allowed me to supply some Flowmaster mufflers (but they would equally have built or provided something too if I'd have wanted) and made the tubes fit really nice and snug under the floor pan and over the rear axle. They connected to existed tri-y headers and added a H-pipe for me using flexible stainless pipe. They also made it so the whole lot could be dismantled easily for future maintenance under the car.
    sigpic

Comment

A bit of a trek for you but I used these people during the Summer for my 73 convertible https://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/ They custom make it to your demands eg sound,h or x pipe or none,type of exhaust ends,boxes etc

Comment

Steve, did you have the exhaust go above/over the steel transmission plate? i'd like to have mine done as well, would like to connect to stock manifolds maybe X or H pipe as well with the system been removable in sections & fairly quite as Cherry Bombs are way to LOUD!!!.. How reasonable were they on price and time wise, drop off or wait ect.
        sigpic

Comment

MIJ exhaust systems in the West Mids (Walsall) quoted me 460 for a SS exhaust on my 1965 Mustang. They will box it to your tastes sound wise. I have used them before on one of my modern classics and the exhaust was fine. Just tell them they must use the existing hanger points, the only thing they did on my car that I wasn't keen on was them welding hanger brackets onto the floor because they cut away a heat shield to site one. The Mustang doesn't have those so not such a big issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 69 coupe View Post
            Steve, did you have the exhaust go above/over the steel transmission plate? i'd like to have mine done as well, would like to connect to stock manifolds maybe X or H pipe as well with the system been removable in sections & fairly quite as Cherry Bombs are way to LOUD!!!.. How reasonable were they on price and time wise, drop off or wait ect.
            Hi John,I went for a standard twin pipe exhaust with no H or X pipe that went over the strengthening plate.They custom built the boxes to fit with just the right sound as the convertible seems loud enough and turned the ends down just as I wanted.From memory it was 600 and probably took 2 hours to make with about 2 weeks notice.

Comment

Once I get my 71 Mach 1 back on the road I will probably use them again for a H pipe system and something similar to the cherry bombs I currently have on it but with a bit more subtly I need to do something as I keep bottoming out the headers on sleeping policemen since I've lowered it by about 1.5 inches so will see if they can keep my headers but cut them back a bit and then add the system!
              Last edited by stevec2004; 21-10-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks Steve just the info i needed, what i want is similar to this 1min in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe8QTJ5tQkQ in Stainless, now i know there was a lot of who-ha regarding the youtube presenter but the exhaust idea i would like maybe better mufflers and a coulple of clamps to remove in sections.
                sigpic

Comment

That routing is similar to mine.I have turn downs at the end,no h pipe and connected to headers rather than manifolds.

Comment

Working...
                  X