No announcement yet.

1966 steering slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i intent to fit an export brace this winter as well i am hoping the strut tops are not too misalignment to align the holes!

Comment

Originally posted by codm80FB View Post
      i intent to fit an export brace this winter as well i am hoping the strut tops are not too misalignment to align the holes!
      Well best of luck. Initially when you try you may well think that there is a big error but these cars do move a lot over their lifetime. This said they do respond to a bit of "manipulation"
      Allan

Comment

I had to ‘massage’ my strut towers a little to get the export brace in. Piece of 4x2 and a small bottle jack did the trick. Needed the carb off to do it though, just take your time, moved it about 3/4” not as bad as the link below

https://youtu.be/Ax-fpGsJmig

Comment

i think it is very much luck of the draw how easy/hard it will be to fit, maybe I need to borrow your 4x2! At least I have 4 months until next season to get it done

only concern about jacking the towers apart is damage to paintwork/local deformation of the panels, I can only think of putting soft padding at any push points and spreading the load as much as possible.
          Last edited by codm80FB; 04-11-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

That’s what I did lots of care and plenty of padding, I had the fenders off when I did mine

Comment

Steering Box Centring:
              ...Didn't read the whole thread so please ignore if covered already....

1. Disconnect pitman arm from the steering gear at the ball joint
              2. Wind steering wheel to full left. Count turns and mark position on column
              3. mark steering wheel full right count turns and mark on column
              4. count back turns to 1/2 position and mark column and steering wheel. Recheck
              5. Recenre steering wheel on column if you need to
              6. Mark everything- Rag joint to steering box, steering wheel to column etc.

Everything starts from there.

Cheers
              Eddie

Comment

Working...
              X