Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostats

Please can anyone tell me what temp thermostats they are using in their 302 engines?
    My car never had a thermostat installed in the car so I put one in. Now the car is having flow problems and it overheats randomly usualy at high speed.
    I will buy a new thermostat 1st to make sure the one I bought isnt faulty, then I presume the next checks will be water pump and radiator.
    I also put a trans oil cooler on the front of the rad and was wondering if this could make enough difference to the air flow to the rad? I cant see how it should. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for any advice in advance!

Originally posted by nigel429brown
    I think you've answered your own question there;)

IF the water temperature was ok before you put the thermostat in, then the problem probably lies elsewhere.
    More likely the radiator rather than the water pump.

The transmission oil cooler wouldn't make that much of a difference.
    Thanks Nigel - I was rather hoping not, but I think your right.But best try another stat 1st

Comment

Originally posted by physcult View Post
      Please can anyone tell me what temp thermostats they are using in their 302 engines?
      My car never had a thermostat
      Hello as per our PM recently, I used to have 180deg thermo but overheated. Now using no thermo and with lots of other cooling improvments but still overheats. Am thinking of fitting a 160 deg thermo in case the lack of thermo (and consequent quicker flow though of water) is stopping heat transfer in the block to the water .

cheers

RDS

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
        Hello as per our PM recently, I used to have 180deg thermo but overheated. Now using no thermo and with lots of other cooling improvments but still overheats. Am thinking of fitting a 160 deg thermo in case the lack of thermo (and consequent quicker flow though of water) is stopping heat transfer in the block to the water .

cheers

RDS
        Yep - im using 180% too. Its not that because I tried another. Im going to re-check the timing next, then the rad. Mines annoying because I have to drive for ages to know if its still overheating-An hour in the traffic and then I was flat out on the A3 at the weekend and I thought it was perfect until I past Woking where it overheated

Comment

Random overheating could be due to debris shifting inside the radiator or block. It's surprising how much crap can accumulate in a cooling system, particularly if it's been used for prolonged periods with no antifreeze to inhibit corrosion.

More pictures

Comment

I have put gauze sleeves over the inlet an outlets to the (new) rad for peace of mind with a view to alliveate debris blockage

Comment

Originally posted by steve-p View Post
              Random overheating could be due to debris shifting inside the radiator or block. It's surprising how much crap can accumulate in a cooling system, particularly if it's been used for prolonged periods with no antifreeze to inhibit corrosion.
              The waters pretty clean as we drained it down twice and put fresh anti-freeze in. i dont think its debris.

Comment

Did you actually flush it through though? Draining it won't help with larger bits. You should have seen what came out of my engine when it was power flushed.

More pictures

Comment

Did you actually flush it through though? Draining it won't help with larger bits. You should have seen what came out of my engine when it was power flushed.
                  Nope we didnt - but it wasnt overheating before I put the thermostat in.If the timing is good Ill reverse flush it just to make sure- Cheers for advice

Comment

just out of interest how did you powerflush? i couldnt see how i could find the space for the lance to reverse powerflush in the engine bay.

ta

Comment

I didn't do it, it was done at Valley Gas. They showed me the collection of crud which came out though.

More pictures

Comment

Working...
                      X