Ali 3 row radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali 3 row radiator?

Still finding the cooling a bit marginal and having to keep an eye on the gauge all the time - wonder if anyone's bought one of these and, if so, what are they like ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-rows-alu...0AAOSwanRXg5Cr

Thanks,

Anthony

Yes, i bought one, nice rad, but didn't fit at all. It was ordered for a 289/1967 car and when it arrived it was the same size as a 390 cars rad. I would buy one but only after taking careful measurements.

Peter
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

I was at the Surrey Mustang gathering a couple of weeks ago, and someone (sorry useless at names) had fitted this one. It just went in, but only because on his year the ribs on the bottom of the hood were in just the right place. Parked next was the same model but a year earlier or later, and the ribs were different and it wouldn't have fitted.

So as Peter says, measure carefully - it might just go in.

Comment

Over the years I've had a two, three and four row brass radiators fitted to my 289 and all have been marginal. The two row was defo not up to it and the three row was better but surprisingly the four row appeared no better than the three row and was a tight fit in front of the water pump pulley. Note also that the picture in the advert you show is a cross flow radiator with the inlet and outlet hoses on different sides of the rad, whilst on my engine the pipes need to be both on the same (passenger) side. This is not as efficient as being cross flow. In the end, not wanting to buy far eastern products with the risks involved, I had Pro Alloy Motorsports make me a two row ali rad. The rows are much larger so it is about the same width as the repro three row brass rad. They also made it cross flow but brought the outlet pipe back across the rad to the passenger side and the rad came with a n electric fan fitted. Not cheap but good quality. Filled with a water/coolant mix I am now confident of sitting in a motorway jam on the hottest summers day as the temp needle doesn't move beyond normal, the fan cuts in and out periodically but the temp is like a modern car.
        Allan

Comment

Years ago I ordered a Modine three core rad. (Modine was the main player back then in the stone age). What arrived was a two core. I was bummed. zguy at the speed shop said it's a super two core. Much larger cores than stock. i believed him and tried it and it worked a treat.

He explained that at the time they found the super two core was better than the three core

I also like the larger cores as I feel there is more space for stuff to pass through rather than form the pebbles of sediment that seem to jam up the cores

That's my theory anyway.
          Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
          We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone - useful stuff !

They do in fact give the precise dimensions (well, supposedly), so I'll check the measurements with the existing rad when I get a moment.

Cheers,

Anthony ('68 289)
            Last edited by superaquarama; 09-07-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Morning Allan

Can you PM me the price you paid please? I may go this route as my Shelby replica has been marginal in traffic temp wise

Thanks. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang View Post
                Yes, i bought one, nice rad, but didn't fit at all. It was ordered for a 289/1967 car and when it arrived it was the same size as a 390 cars rad. I would buy one but only after taking careful measurements.

Peter
                In some respects that might be a good thing...I've got an original (re-cored when I restored the car) Big Block 390 rad in my '67, yes the bottom pipe is on the wrong side but small price to pay for a bigger rad.

Touch wood, only suffer heat issues when sat at a standstill for any extended length of time - but then I have stock 4 blade mechanical fan....

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by pmustang
                  Hey Mike. It wouldn't fit at all for some reason.

I can't remember the details but ended up recoring the stock unit and selling the new one.
                  Cheers. Peter

Comment

Interesting thread here.
                    My temperature gauge has very recently packed up. It's a sealed unit type (Three added binacles in the middle of the dash).
                    She never over heated last year but last Saturday I got caught in some epic West London traffic and it was very hot.
                    I have Evans coolant so nothing over heated but I was very worried about the actual engine temperature.

I went to Real Steel and he said he didn't know what make they were to supply a replacement.

Ive got lots of work to do this winter to mine and a new Rad will probably be one of the many things I do.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I bought one from cooling_auto from eBay for my 65 289 that also had Worley in the photo so made by the same company maybe. it was a good fit and easy to install. I paid 119 including delivery from the Netherlands. Unfortunately it looks as though they don't have any in stock in Europe at the moment as they are +70 postage from china currently.

If you can hold out it might be worth waiting as the prices seem to go up and down and postage costs vary massively.

Comment

Working...
                      X