1965 Screen Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1965 Screen Removal

I'm going to have a go at replacing my headlining at the weekend, tried to get trade lined up but no luck, any tips on removing and refitting the glass?

https://youtu.be/oWdSSa1Mzhs

Nice little CJ Pony video might help
    Editor Round Up
    2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4 Hemi Yellow Jacket
    2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
    1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Comment

Do not treat the original bright trim as sacrificial thinking that repro stuff is available. You need to preserve the original trim at all costs and make sure that you don't damage it.
      Repro trim is not good.
      sigpic
      You can never have enough black under the hood.

Comment

There is a tool available on E bay that you slide under the trim and pull the clips forward to release it , a whole lot easier and no damage to the trim very cheap comes in a set around £10
        Dean

Comment

Originally posted by webbycarman View Post
          There is a tool available on E bay that you slide under the trim and pull the clips forward to release it , a whole lot easier and no damage to the trim very cheap comes in a set around £10
          Dean

As Dean said. Also go slowly at it otherwise you will bend the trim. Remove the clips after too! The whole thing is bonded so do not be forceful when removing. It can take you a while but worth it.
          1968 Mustang Fastback GT J Code 302 4v C4, AM/FM Stereo Radio, centre console and overhead console, Selectaire, Deluxe Interior, disc brakes, Highland green with black interiorsigpic

Comment

Thanks guys got the tool and have the video + lots more. So do you agree that the glass will come out with the rubber seal attached by pulling the rubber seal back on the inside and pushing the glass out? I was expecting to have to cut it out.

I do have new seals for the re-install.

Comment

I would alway put new seals in unless you know how long the existing ones have been on the car.

New ones will be more pliable and therefore easier to get installed around the frame.

Make sure you use lots of mastic.

Comment

How did you get on replacing your headlining?

Comment

Run a razor around perimter of seal, cuts off front wdge of seal, lift out glass, pull out remainder of seal

Always use a new seal. Also if seal had been put in with correct amount of sealant it will never come out whole
                  Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                  We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Hi Chris, I got it done but its quite a job and I do have a few wrinkles to try to sort out.

So it was about 3 hours or so to get the st/st trim off the screens, don't get frustrated and bend these, make sure you get 20 or so new clips as some break or are rusted away.

As Peter says cut around the rubber with a new blade and the glass just pushes out after a little wiggling.

You will need to remove the door seals and channel so the liner can be pulled tight at the sides.

Windows went back in with the string method, back window was a bit tricky and the string pulled wrinkles at the top of the back window, probably should have had the string starting at the top so pulling from the middle out.

I would say strip it out yourself and then get a trimmer to fit the liner, I'm quite good at this sort of thing but I recon to get it good I would need to do it 3 or 4 time, it takes practice. Its a lot of work to end up with a less than perfect job. My problem was I couldn't get the glass people and trimmer to gel and didn't want the car off the road for a month so had a go myself. If you want it perfect probably find a trimmer.

Comment

Thanks, mine needs doing but you confirmed my suspicion, itís a job for someone else.

Maybe this winter, that and the interior quarter panels are the only parts of the interior that need smartening up and I canít help but notice it when im in the car now.

Comment

Hi I want to keep everything intact on my 66 coupe but the rubber trim is a bit tired in places and probably requires cutting back a little and tidying up and adding some kind of mastic (was told tiger seal by someone) any ideas on what the best mastic / product would be to help weather seal my windscreen

thanks, Adam
                        [

QUOTE=ChrisGreg;750072]Thanks, mine needs doing but you confirmed my suspicion, itís a job for someone else.

Maybe this winter, that and the interior quarter panels are the only parts of the interior that need smartening up and I canít help but notice it when im in the car now.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Tiger seal - you will have problems in removing the windscreen at a later date if you need to.

I would go with a non setting sealant similar to this
                          I have used this in the past and it's great stuff, and not just for windscreens.

Comment

I've just bought 4 tubes of this for my rear screen: https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/in...ler-310ml.html

Probably more than I need but wanted to have it just in case!

I also picked up this off eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotiv...l/152748419451

I just need to work up the courage to pull the rear screen now....

Comment

cheers ! thanks a lot for that, Adam

Originally posted by makse View Post
                              Tiger seal - you will have problems in removing the windscreen at a later date if you need to.

I would go with a non setting sealant similar to this
                              I have used this in the past and it's great stuff, and not just for windscreens.

Comment

Working...
                              X