1965 289 Exhaust boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1965 289 Exhaust boxes

My car is running cherry bombs, they have been fun for a while but I'm now thinking about toning it down a bit, I can do the pipework so its just the boxes I need. Would be nice just to use generic oval boxes, I'm sure that would be good (As suggested by Peter) so the question is what can you guys recommend from my local motor factors? Still need something that sound good, not stock.

I had cherry bombs on my 65 and they got a bit harsh after a few years. I have now fitted these

http://www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk/...r-22-inch-body

Although mail order they were very quick delivery and fitted in place of the cherry's. just had to cut a short length of pipe out as the Smithy's are longer. They are more sophisticated sounding but still a nice note. Local motor factors stuff will rot out after a couple of years.
    Allan

Comment

Looks like these guys are in Luton so maybe I can collect.

Comment

Sorry forgot to say "thanks Allan".

Comment

Interesting thread. I am trying to do the opposite and make the coupe have more of a growl, and would welcome thoughts about the best way to do this. What sort of sound do your cherry bombs give as at the moment I seem to have stock style twin pipes and silencers...... Many thanks Marc
          sigpic

Comment

Ah maybe we can swap cars :-)

I wan't the car to be sort of loud but the cherry bombs are OTT I say cherry bombs as they are that shape but not sure exactly what they are. I'm thinking something between cherry and stock but cant seem to get someone to recommend anything.

So I take it the stock boxes are very quite?

Comment

It's been interesting reading other people's experiences about trying to get the cars quieter for cruising as mine is lovely and I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll end up ruining that.

At the moment the car sounds great on the driveway, as in its chunkier than anything modern around it, however I still think its quieter than people's expectations of a V8 4.7 litre..... I don't want to end up sounding naff.

I'll keep researching.....
              sigpic

Comment

I have old cherry bombs and they are very loud, it's possible that all the glass fibre packing has slowly disintegrated over time, I'm considering flowmaster 40's but I do get loads of nice comments so I'm in no hurry to change.

Comment

IMHO opinion. Nothing beats flowmasters...When a car comes in with them I know the exhaust note is something I don't have to worry about
                  Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
                  We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    I have old cherry bombs and they are very loud, it's possible that all the glass fibre packing has slowly disintegrated over time, I'm considering flowmaster 40's but I do get loads of nice comments so I'm in no hurry to change.
                    Cherry Bombs certainly lose their matting and silencing quality over time but the issue I had was a loud drone at motorway speeds. My car gets used a lot and does a lot of motorway miles so this droning can become tiring after a few hours. Getting rid of the droning and generally reducing cabin noise has been a bit of a challenge. I've gone over to a slightly quieter silencer, fiited Dynamat and also put heat wrap on the exhaust. This was put on the lower part of the exhaust under the car and was an attempt at altering the natural frequency of the exhaust. Its all helped but is not a full cure. My car still sounds more grunty with the V8 burble than the usual run of the mill cars and is louder when reved.
                    Allan

Comment

Yes I keep hearing flowmaster, can I buy these in the UK or is It import only?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                        Yes I keep hearing flowmaster, can I buy these in the UK or is It import only?
                        They appear to be available in the UK if you check out evil bay. They are quite expensive though.
                        Allan

Comment

How do they compare with Magnaflow ??

Comment

Just had a look and Nemesis UK they are doing this box SKU: 11254MF for 84.85 sale price. Anybody using these? I have Emailed them asking about suitability for my application but what do you guys think?

Comment

I will be changing my exhaust system soon - have a 66 302 coupe and going from cherry bombs (no cross over in middle) to a flow master system, H cross over with American thunder muffler. Already have exhaust but doing a lot of front end rebuild also to suspension etc, so once I get garage on board and the work started there would be a set of cherry bombs available. Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X