No announcement yet.

1965 289 Exhaust boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Flowmaster there are various different boxes available from mild to loud. I've had cars with these and they give a great sound but some aren't a fan of the hollow noise they can make.

Noisiest set ups I've had have been cherry bomb style whilst the raspy noise is good but annoying sometimes.

Arvinode muffler set up was my favourite. From Waldron exhausts.
    Midland Mustangs LTD
    Sourcing and Sales of 1960s Classic Mustangs
    www.midland-mustangs.co.uk

Comment

Is that the flow master 17273 system ??

Comment

Originally posted by makse View Post
        Is that the flow master 17273 system ??
        That runs Flowmaster 40s Delta flow for more aggressive sound.

Delta flow 50s for more moderate sound.
        Midland Mustangs LTD
        Sourcing and Sales of 1960s Classic Mustangs
        www.midland-mustangs.co.uk

Comment

How do they compare with Magnaflow ??
          Both are cheap and nasty compared to Blitz / HKS Jap car style. But I have to admit flowmasters sound great nice deep tone and quieter until you hammer them
          Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Comment

I'm going to give the Magnaflow a try, not sure if I will go for the 14 inch or 18 inch. I will ask C J Pony tomorrow what comes with their system and go with that.

Boxes available from Nemisis UK 75.36 each and 84.85 each. As we are tube benders and welders I will make a pair of 2 inch st/st over axle pipes to finish the job.

Comment

Would be interested in your solution regarding the setup with the magnaflows

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                I'm going to give the Magnaflow a try, not sure if I will go for the 14 inch or 18 inch. I will ask C J Pony tomorrow what comes with their system and go with that.

Boxes available from Nemisis UK 75.36 each and 84.85 each. As we are tube benders and welders I will make a pair of 2 inch st/st over axle pipes to finish the job.
                Magnaflow's system use the 14" - 11216, so probably CJ use the same.

Comment

Magnaflow's system use the 14" - 11216, so probably CJ use the same.
                  You could get a borla exhaust. They’re quite nice and loud. Very loud.

Check this one https://youtu.be/ofUVRpLFvfE
                  Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Comment

OK so I've been down to the factory today to fit the Magnaflow exhaust boxes first I had to cut the old boxes off, I've been calling them cherry bombs but they were Blue Streak boxes.

Next I programmed the tube bender to make the over axle pipes (these are in 2 inch x 2mm wall stainless steel) See link to youtube showing these being made. https://youtu.be/UXCftYqEwWo

So the tubes fit great, brackets are a miss mash but were before I started.

Anyway I love the way they sound, gives the car a proper burble like it should have at tick over and low revs but push it and it gets pretty loud.

So I have some decibel reading:

With the boxes cut off just open pipes.
                    Tick over 85 db
                    Rev 115 db

With the cherry bombs fitted.
                    Tick over 75 db
                    Rev 105 db

With the Magnaflow fitted.
                    Tick over 74 db
                    Rev 99 db

So volume is about the same but the quality of the sound is better and is defo a better sound at low rev driving.

Comment

Flowmaster 40s

Hi folks, I was recently messing about with my go pro and a new mic, I have flowmaster 40s and thought it might help to hear how mine sounds in day to day traffic. It is a bit of a dull video..

Cheers,

Keith

https://youtu.be/j6Ci5bX31fw
                      I luv the smell of napalm in the morning

Comment

Do you have the same but from inside the cabin. Would be good to compare the difference.

Comment

Do you have the same but from inside the cabin. Would be good to compare the difference.
                          Hi, yeah, again just messing about with the gopro, bit dull, but should give you an idea of the sound. I have never regretted the 40s, they sound spot on in my opinion.

Cheers,

Keith

https://youtu.be/lB9D33BJuJw

ps. this is them on idle.

https://youtu.be/_p2G92sN2YA
                          I luv the smell of napalm in the morning

Comment

Sounds nice.

I do like the way the headlights get brighter with the revs :)
                            I know it's all to do with how much the alternator is generating ;)

Comment

I'm definitely in the Flowmaster camp! The GoPro vids sound awesome there. Currently looking at a pair of 50 series delta flows but have some questions;

Not necessarily Flowmaster related but - what kind of offset should I be looking at? I appreciate this pretty much comes down to fitting but the guy I'm looking at using will happily bend pipes to suit which ever type of muffler I get. Some research suggests early 65 K-codes came with centre in/offset out mufflers but I see a lot of people going for offset in/centre out or offset in/offset out.

I have 2.5" I/D tri-y headers. Current exhaust is barely 2" O/D with nondescript mufflers. Would you go for 2.25" or 2.5" pipes? This will be sitting behind a rebuilt/upgraded 302 with an unknown bhp but would like to make sure which ever pipes I get don't restrict too much in case I want to look at aiming for more bhp in the future.
                              sigpic

Comment

According to Flowmaster website for the systems for the mustang they use offset in centre out from the diagram showing all the parts in the kit.

Comment

Working...
                                X