Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pedal Question

Hi Guys

probably one of those "silly questions" but what makes the brake pedal go back up when you have taken your foot off it?

Mine was working fine, I got my boot caught under it and now it doesnt seem to go back up, and it feels like the brake is staying on, only I cant see any mechanism to return it? Is there a spring or something that pulls it back up, or is it done by some other form of mechanical magic?

Scott
    Scott & Michelle

"Are you sure that was meant to go inside before I put it all back together, because I cant remember it being taken out"

Betsy - 1976 Mustang II 302 Windsor undergoing a subtle transformation!
    Daisy - 1977 Mustang II Cobra 351 Windsor (2014 Project)

www.erudit.co.uk for national small business IT support - discounts for MOCGB members!
    www.profectus-marketing.co.uk - Online Marketing and Web Design - 20% discount for MOCGB Traders!

Assuming similar to earlier years there is a spring in the master cylinder:

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
    http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Some cars also have a return spring from the pedal up to the body... i would get my head under the dash to see if there was anything obvious/broken/hanging!!
      sigpic
      2005 GT CONVERTIBLE, ROUSH SPRINGS, 20" ROCKET BOOSTER WHEELS. C&L CAI and SCTX3 tuner with Brenspeed tune... NOW FITTED... Cali Special front bumper.
      http://www.modurstang.co.uk/

Comment

Is it a RHD one Scott??

If so there's linkage and stuff that goes from the right hand side to left hand side where the brakes operating department lives which could be suspect.
        1967 White Convertible Auto ...... 1994 to 2004
        2005 Redfire GT Manual......2008 to 2010
        2010 Kona Blue GT Auto ...... 2010 to 2013

MOCGB #332 since 1994

Comment

I have stuck my head under the dash and cant see anything that has gone astray or broken, but I am going to have a better dig around when there is more light.

It is right hand drive (been caught out by that before) and I have pushed the brake in on the left side and it seems to return OK, so hopefully I have knocked a spring off or it is catching on something but I will check the linkage!

Thanks guys :)
          Scott & Michelle

"Are you sure that was meant to go inside before I put it all back together, because I cant remember it being taken out"

Betsy - 1976 Mustang II 302 Windsor undergoing a subtle transformation!
          Daisy - 1977 Mustang II Cobra 351 Windsor (2014 Project)

www.erudit.co.uk for national small business IT support - discounts for MOCGB members!
          www.profectus-marketing.co.uk - Online Marketing and Web Design - 20% discount for MOCGB Traders!

Comment

Originally posted by Chronos View Post
            Hi Guys

probably one of those "silly questions" but what makes the brake pedal go back up when you have taken your foot off it?

Mine was working fine, I got my boot caught under it and now it doesnt seem to go back up, and it feels like the brake is staying on, only I cant see any mechanism to return it? Is there a spring or something that pulls it back up, or is it done by some other form of mechanical magic?

Scott
            hello;

there is only the spring in the master cylinder as shown.

if your car has been converted from left to rhd than who knows what they did.

make sure the piston in the master us returning fully to the clip that holds it in. if it is not, do not frive the car. your brakes could heat up and suddenly lock up.
            Last edited by barnett468; 05-09-2014, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X