Which oil to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which oil to use?

Hello folks. Sorry to say it's another noob question. I was wondering which oil to use in my 92 ' 5.0? Synthetic, semi synthetic, or mineral? The engine has 42000 miles on it. Would 10w 30 be ok?

Many thanks.

I'm still new to Mustangs, but in our climate i'd say 10W30 synthetic is exactly what you want. That's what i'm sticking with, I wouldn't go any thinner. 42k is no mileage at all on these motors, built Ford tough!

Comment

royal purple xpr is very good if you don't need a catalytic converter . . it might contaminate it

Comment

Originally posted by barnett468 View Post
        royal purple xpr is very good if you don't need a catalytic converter . . it might contaminate it

The Fox 5.0 is a fairly low tech, old school engine.
        There's no need to over complicate things. In the early days it was common to run them on 20w/ 50 but now, the best thing to use is any semi synthetic 10w/ 40. Try and use a decent brand filter though.
        I've had 3 cars using the 5.0 motor (I've covered 40,000 miles in my current fox) and never had a lubrication problem using FL1a Motorcraft filters and Comma oil. There's absolutely no need to spend a fortune.

John
        sigpic"You screamed and laughed when I got up and sang, then rode away in your white Mustang to your castle in the sand"

1992 5.0LX convertible

Comment

I have ordered a motorcraft filter and am off to get some Castrol magnatec 10w 40 semi synthetic. Now to sort out the weird idle issues....

Cheers guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Commander View Post
            I have ordered a motorcraft filter and am off to get some Castrol magnatec 10w 40 semi synthetic. Now to sort out the weird idle issues....

Cheers guys!
            That will work just fine.
            As for the idle, Foxes can suffer with hanging idle. Give the IAC a good clean and see if it improves. Throttle position sensors can also be an issue. Setting the base idle is a good place to start. The link below may help.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/idlereset.php

Just one other thing to mention, backing the throttle stop screw right off won't make any difference to idle speed but will cause the throttle to stick when trying to pick up off idle. When you get the idle speed right, just bring the screw up until it rests against the throttle plate.

John
            Last edited by suzyfan; 08-11-2014, 10:57 AM.
            sigpic"You screamed and laughed when I got up and sang, then rode away in your white Mustang to your castle in the sand"

1992 5.0LX convertible

Comment

Working...
            X