Service engine soon??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service engine soon??

Have just read OldBoys post about his service light coming on, and it has on the convertible. Someone said that it could be the fuel cap not fitting right? Ive just tried it and its impossible to turn it until it clicks, do you have to push it down first ? Im suspicious about it needing a service because the oil looks like it was recently changed, theres no misfire and it runs sweet. Is it a common problem with these? and can I get a cap from Rockauto or is it stocked anywhere else? Thanks in advance. Mick

Service engine soon is the check engine light. It's what comes on when there is an issue with one or more sensors.

You can buy a code reader from eBay for £15 that will tell you what the problem is. Anything else is complete guesswork.

Neill
    1998 SVT Cobra
    1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe

Comment

Yes Ive got a code reader, and it comes up with 1450, which seems to pertain to fuel tank vacuum, so am assuming its the cap problem as suggested on Oldboys thread. Ive wiped the code and the lights gone out, dont really know what can be wrong with the cap--is it the seal that leaks?

Comment

It can literally be caused by not putting it on right. It's not a huge deal, if it comes back replace it but if I'm honest I'd be surprised if it returns.

Neill
        1998 SVT Cobra
        1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe

Comment

Filler neck gasket

I had that problem for years, could not find anything amis, just switched the fault light off. Then read on a US forum about the fuel filler neck gasket being a problem on the SN95's.
          Imported the gasket, it was very cheap, but access is only via dropping the fuel tank, make sure its almost empty because it can be heavy, takes about 2 hours and I had help, also change the fuel filter when you are down there.
          Result no fault lights again, and the gasket was totally shot.
          Big Paul

Something for the weekend :Burnout

Tell them I'm commin and when I come hell comes with me :Cowboy

Comment

I have been reading through all these comments and wonder if I can be pointed in the right direction? I have had a similar problem and the baby has had a full service and the service engine soon was cleared. Been running and now after about 200 miles the light has come back on. I have had the filler cap replaced so that is new. Could it be the gasket that needs to be replaced - thanks for all help in this folks.

Comment

Pretty common fault. Easy to get here in states but not sure in uk

Comment

Many thanks for that. I also see on these comments that a Code Reader can be bought here n the UK for around 15 Pounds - is anyone able to send me a pic of the reader please so that I can try and buy one? Thanks all for your help. I have managed to find one for about 30 pounds from Retro Parts in the UK - would this work? Thanks again all for the help.
                Last edited by Mike1505; 18-09-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

As long as itís OBD 2 reader itís good.

Comment

This is what I have found on Ebay - Please could you have a look at the link - does this look OK do you think? Thanks for your help :).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Code-Reader-for-Ford-Mustang-Diagnostic-Scanner-Engine-Light-Clear/172935997796?fits=Model%3AMustang%7CCars+Year%3A19 99&hash=item2843c9e964:g:p4cAAOSwehZZ6Rhl

Comment

This is what I bought for my SN95:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Tro...2Aentries%2A=0

Whenever I've had Service Engine Soon light I've used the above and get the relevant code then search the codes online and its been things like a faulty coil pack or bad spark plug.

'99 Bright Atlantic Blue Convertible (Stock) & '67 Acapulco Blue Fastback (393 Stroker)
                      http://www.67mustang.co.uk

Comment

Yes itís Obd2 so thatís good, If your feeling like you can spend more money you can buy an SCT handheld tuner. They work good more so if you have an Automatic as you can change shift point and pressure, also can liven up the engine performance. It will also read your fault codes etc. probably around $400 over here but weíll wort the money.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your help on this. Can I ask just one more thing please? I have read on here about replacing the fuel cap which I have done but I am confused as to the message from everyone saying that it has to click to make sure it is on right? I have tried to get a click but I don't get that but it does feel as if the cap is on correctly and when I take it off I can feel it bite so as to release the cap from the funnel - am I doing something wrong? Once again thanks for all the help :).

Comment

I tried to upload a video of cap then a pic but itís not working. Your cap should have 3 pegs(sticky out bits). And itís not so much as a click but more of a clunk when closing it clockwise. You may have the wrong cap

Comment

Still could be the rubber gasket
                              Last edited by Mondo; 19-09-2019, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X