'67 Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'67 Camaro

Just testing the waters for now, contemplating (seriously) ditching the Mustang and building a Camaro to race. Does not have to be anything special, just a basic coupe preferably not rotten to the core and ideally like my last racer, free! So, if anyone out there knows anyone with a '67 (not any other years) going, I may be interested.
    Cheers, Martin
    sigpic

Hi Martin,Why are you changing? just a change or,do you think there is more scope for the camaro,cheers mark
    [SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Hi Mark, the Mustang is near the end of it's development and will never win a race, it's that simple. Politics prevent the car from progressing but the club I currently race with have published figures for the weight of Camaros and a '67 can weigh 2770lbs which would help greatly. It's a pity, the Mustang has been great fun but I feel it's days are numbered now and I'm flogging a dead horse. It might take too long to explain here, but without severe cheating, a Mustang will never be at the pointy end of the grid. So find me a Camaro!
      Cheers, Martin
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Martin, you surprise me ditching the stang for racing but thinking about it is it to do with what you were saying went on at the drivers meeting at Silverstone back in September? And understand some of the reasons for going for a first gen Camaro, there is a good reason why they are popular.
        First gen Camaro's are as hard to find as cheap mustang projects nowadays but wish you luck in finding a decent one to make into your next racer, will let you know if anything turns up in this neck of the woods. Are you planning to run the Stang until the Camaro is ready?
        Can't you borrow your friends stunning red one and use that, tell him your testing it or something? He did mention he maybe wanted to do historic circuit racing with it!
        Anyways, whatever you decide to run I'll be more than happy to crew for you again in the coming season.
        cheers,

Ian.
        1970 Mach1
        Cleveland powered bacon finder.

Comment

Hi Ian, as I said, just testing the water and having some alternative thoughts. The Silverstone Scrutineers did not faze me. I eat rule books. No, there was a meeting later that day and proposed rule changes will affect me badly if they go ahead. The Camaro idea is simply the best way to get the lightest American car with good mechanicals that could do the job. The '69 has to be too heavy (rules) and has a grossly illegal engine for racing anyway. Good to hear you are still one of the few who support racing, and yes, I will probably still race the Mustang for now as there is a lot tied up in that car, building up a racer is quite a job when you take it all into consideration. I may have to change clubs though.
          I'm sure there is a cheap/free Camaro out there for me, just as there was a free '69 Fastback for me when I needed it! In fact, I do know where there is one hidden in a lockup, doing nothing......;))
          Cheers, Martin
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 Dude View Post
            Anyways, whatever you decide to run I'll be more than happy to crew for you again in the coming season.
            cheers,

Ian.
            Now that sounds like fun and a nice day out. Are there vacancies??? ;))

Comment

Originally posted by sportsroof View Post
              Hi Ian, as I said, just testing the water and having some alternative thoughts. The Silverstone Scrutineers did not faze me. I eat rule books. No, there was a meeting later that day and proposed rule changes will affect me badly if they go ahead. The Camaro idea is simply the best way to get the lightest American car with good mechanicals that could do the job. The '69 has to be too heavy (rules) and has a grossly illegal engine for racing anyway. Good to hear you are still one of the few who support racing, and yes, I will probably still race the Mustang for now as there is a lot tied up in that car, building up a racer is quite a job when you take it all into consideration. I may have to change clubs though.
              I'm sure there is a cheap/free Camaro out there for me, just as there was a free '69 Fastback for me when I needed it! In fact, I do know where there is one hidden in a lockup, doing nothing......;))
              Cheers, Martin
              Well, if the 69 is being offered on for free, I'll happily join you in the world of racing - but the thought of building a racer from scratch is a little hard to swallow.

It would be a shame to see your skills being transfered to a Camero, but I am sure that whatever you choose, you heart will still be with the Mustangs.

Comment

Now that sounds like fun and a nice day out. Are there vacancies?
                I have offered tickets here in the past and takeup has been poor. I throw many tickets away as nobody is interested. One or two people from this club turn up on a regular basis to help and support me and it is appreciated. I like to think they enjoy the day. I also usually take my mate who owns the '69 Camaro Ian referred to as he is savvy around cars. No '69 is being offered, Ian was joking I think, but feel free to build up a competitive racer if you want and we can play at the races!
                If you really are interested and if I am racing in 2011, keep in touch as there are often tickets going begging so you would be more than welcome to have one or more.
                Remember, I haven't said I am definitely ditching the Mustang, just investigating options.
                Cheers, Martin
                sigpic

Comment

Martin, surely just switching series/championships is a more cost effective route especially if you want to develop the Mustang more?

Comment

Valid point and I have been looking at other clubs/series but all seem to have as many negatives as positives attached. CTCRC looks the most attractive currently, assuming I jump ship from HSCC. Also, I refuse to take the car off the road so developing it much further is not practical/possible. What's the crack with your lot? Any suggestions as to another club?
                    Cheers, Martin
                    sigpic

Comment

I have offered tickets here in the past and takeup has been poor. I throw many tickets away as nobody is interested. One or two people from this club turn up on a regular basis to help and support me and it is appreciated. I like to think they enjoy the day. I also usually take my mate who owns the '69 Camaro Ian referred to as he is savvy around cars. No '69 is being offered, Ian was joking I think, but feel free to build up a competitive racer if you want and we can play at the races!
                      If you really are interested and if I am racing in 2011, keep in touch as there are often tickets going begging so you would be more than welcome to have one or more.
                      Remember, I haven't said I am definitely ditching the Mustang, just investigating options.
                      Cheers, Martin
                      I have often thought about stripping a Fox 5.0 for a race car, but obviously it would be in a different class than you anyway. That leaves the SCJ or the 70. Both being far too modified to fit into you class too.

So, that leaves me few options and no time to properly pursue them. Maybe once the 69 is done I'll have time to pursure a new hobby - and racing a Mustang is a hell of a hobby. Albeit, a flipping expensive one from what I hear. Logically it would be a 69 Coupe I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Dragpack View Post
                        Now that sounds like fun and a nice day out. Are there vacancies??? ;))
                        It is a lot of fun. I have spectated at historic races many times but being involved with one of the racers is so much better, you get to see a different side to things which I find interesting and meet some interesting car people too. I like to get "hands on" involved with checking the brakes and motor after practice and races too, adds to the fun aspect I think.
                        1970 Mach1
                        Cleveland powered bacon finder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 Dude View Post
                          It is a lot of fun. I have spectated at historic races many times but being involved with one of the racers is so much better, you get to see a different side to things which I find interesting and meet some interesting car people too. I like to get "hands on" involved with checking the brakes and motor after practice and races too, adds to the fun aspect I think.
                          Sounds great and much better then just stuck in the workshop doing the same. Count me in when possible. Seriously. Happy to help and have some fun too.

Comment

Valid point and I have been looking at other clubs/series but all seem to have as many negatives as positives attached. CTCRC looks the most attractive currently, assuming I jump ship from HSCC. Also, I refuse to take the car off the road so developing it much further is not practical/possible. What's the crack with your lot? Any suggestions as to another club?
                            Cheers, Martin
                            I can certainly understand your unwillingness to take the car off the road, however, the possibilities for racing (and being competitive) in a car driven to the event is very limited. ASFAIK HSCC are the only club in historic circles that run a series for 'road' cars. I think driving to and from an event is something of a romantic ideal in this day and age and so why not consider trailering? You could still keep the car road legal for those fun drives if you wish but give you more scope for being competitive. From a cost point of view if you factor in how much it would cost to build a Camaro I'm sure you could afford a reasonable tow car and trailer.

The CSCC who I race with are a pretty decent club. From a driving point of view the racing is usualyy quite tight but without the idiot element so damage is few and far between. They also have an initiative that stops one car/driver running away and winning all the races. There is also the added element of a compulsory pitstop which gives an opportunity to make up some positions with the use of a decent strategy. I reckon you could squeeze into the Swinging Sixties series I race in as they are a bit lenient with dates. They also run the 'Future Classics' series which is supposedly for '70's & '80's cars but allows in some pretty quick stuff. If you take a look at the regs for either series you'll see they're pretty open which does allow plenty of scope for development without being tied into using expensive parts. To be honest I think that would suit you as you are obviously very resourceful at improving the car by thinking outside the box. However, once again most if not all cars are trailered!

Not sure whether any of that helps but whichever way you choose to go I wish you the very best. :-)

Comment

I appreciate what you are saying about the driving to races but I also have a point to prove to a number of people, not least the (wealthy) guys I race against and often finish ahead of. No problem with dating of my car, although it's a '70 MY, I can prove it was manufactured August '69 which is how I am in HRS with HSCC, not '70's Roadsports. I have obviously looked at your club but they don't seem to race within striking distance of where I live very often. The idea of trailering the car again, as I did when I was drug racing simply does not appeal, let alone factor in the costs. I seem to recall that your club boasted that it was fun because it had no rules or regulations but as I see it, that leads to cheque book racing which can spoil it for us po' boys. You have to run on those crunchy Hysteric tyres don't you? Out lot are heading that way now so maybe I can look at joining in with one or two of your races if they come near me. Thanks for your input, it is helpful to hear from another racer in another series. Take care.
                              Cheers, Martin
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X