68 steering column - wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

68 steering column - wanted

Looking for a 68 column as the thread that holds the steering wheel on is xxxxxxed, too xxxxxxed to rethread.
    Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Just leave column in car work out the nearest thread to the size and re tap to that thread then fit new nut to thread job done

Comment

Originally posted by 68gtcs View Post
      Just leave column in car work out the nearest thread to the size and re tap to that thread then fit new nut to thread job done
      You can’t ‘tap’ an external thread!

if you have access to a lathe you can turn it down if the shaft comes out ( apologies 65 owner) and will go in a Chuck. Wouldn’t cost much if you could find a local machine shop. I could do it for ya but I’m Northampton for work

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post

You can’t ‘tap’ an external thread!

if you have access to a lathe you can turn it down if the shaft comes out ( apologies 65 owner) and will go in a Chuck. Wouldn’t cost much if you could find a local machine shop. I could do it for ya but I’m Northampton for work
        sorry should have said die a thread on the shaft, there is normally a thread close ( I think mine is now metric ) and didn't have to take the shaft out to do.

Comment

Top idea not sure on the 68 thread dia? But there’ll be a metric close to it does the 68 centre shaft come out?

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyles View Post
            Top idea not sure on the 68 thread dia? But there’ll be a metric close to it does the 68 centre shaft come out?
            yes can be split at rag joint before the box

Comment

Working...
            X