Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services

Thread: Hi - considering a mustang for a mid-life crisis car!

Real Name
    Gordon

Hi - considering a mustang for a mid-life crisis car!

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking for some time about getting myself 'something a bit cool' for a car, and I keep coming back to Mustangs. I'm at that stage in life with no kids and no mortgage so if I'm going to do this, then the time is probably now. I've not had a remotely interesting car for some time (since my 20s, so that was 20yrs ago!) when I had some nice BMWs and a Subaru for a bit and I've been driving about in various vans and estate cars since. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Mustang and that's about as far as I've got.

Looking on the various sale sites (autotrader, ebay etc) I like the look of the 2006 shape, and it seems that you can get a decent 4.0 for sensible money. I'm not really looking for a convertible or anything with a supercharger at the moment.

So with this in mind, I was wondering is there anyone in the Bristol area that has one of these that would be interested in having a chat about it? What are they like to own? Is it going to be a complete money pit and a nightmare to own? Are they pretty reliable, and could it be used as a daily drive (although not ideal for city traffic I'm guessing!) Is there a South West owner's group at all, if possible would I be able to come along to a meet some owners and maybe see some cars too.

Thanks in advance for any comments,

-Gordon

Real Name
    Lee
    Mocgb No
    Hi Gordon,

Personal opinion only here and not saying my advice is right but I would stretch to a V8 if you could. The power delivery, V8 burble and high range of mods gets addictive to make it a better car and more unique to your own taste. I love the 05-09 shape and I have an '05 GT which I've just Supercharged 2 years into ownership. Reliability? Mine has been bulletproof (touch wood) since owning her - Auto with 24k on the clock. Only needed handbrake cables which I knew when buying her and these were cheap. Everything else such ands exhaust, brakes, suspension etc has been upgraded rather than replaced and it gets addictive!

Good luck with your search, can't go wrong with a Mustang. Check out the For Sale page on here and/or put a WANTED ad up. You never know.

Lee

Mocgb No
    I had a V6 for 4 years and enjoyed every minute of it, never really cost me much, mainly service items. It wasn't standard and to be honest I don't think I would have been happy with a standard one, although saying that there is nothing wrong with them.
    Don't know what your budget is but if you can afford a GT then it would probably be a better choice.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Real Name
    Gordon

Thanks for the advice chaps

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look for a GT then.

As it happens there's a couple on autotrader that have potential:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1

and this one looks interesting too:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=2

although that bonnet bulge looks a bit enormous!

I'd be really keen to meet up with some owners though to find what the ownership experience is like, and if there is anything that I need to be looking out for.

Thanks again for your time.

-Gordon

Real Name
    Jason
    Mocgb No
    Just up the road in Malmesbury if you need to talk through any concerns etc

Ta

Jason

QUOTE=BristolGordon;753131]Hi chaps,

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look for a GT then.

As it happens there's a couple on autotrader that have potential:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1

and this one looks interesting too:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=2

although that bonnet bulge looks a bit enormous!

I'd be really keen to meet up with some owners though to find what the ownership experience is like, and if there is anything that I need to be looking out for.

Thanks again for your time.

-Gordon[/QUOTE]
    2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible

Mocgb No
    I use my 2006 every day for commuting (unless i'm in my Challenger!) as long as you don't mind people photos, giving you the thumbs up, telling you what a nice car you have in car parks etc, then go for it.

By the way I get approx 25 mpg (V6), obviously a bit less in a GT