Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services

Thread: New Member by proxy :-)

Real Name
    Darren

New Member by proxy :-)

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a 66 Mustang Coupe VAM27D (came with an Owners Club Keyring!) Google shows some images if you search the reg number.

Slightly out of the ordinary as the car isn't for me.....

I'm currently undergoing immunosuppressive therapy, for a disabling illness that has no cure.
    Recently I've had time to contemplate things in general, and as a stubborn bloke who's been told to take it easy, I'm doing the opposite while I can!
    I'm a big classic car guy with previous for hoarding & restoring cars.

My son (only child) turns 21 in the new year & his dream car is a Mustang.

The car is a surprise 21st birthday present. I have it hidden & he knows nothing.

However it needs a bit of work to get it up together. It's got an MOT but its a bit tatty & tired (which is why it was cheap)
    So I have 5 months to sort it out.

That's the back story.
    Are there any youngsters on here that can advise or share experiences of Classic Mustang ownership?

Many thanks
    Darren

Real Name
    simon gray

Welcome Darren.. any Mustang is a special car at any age.. in your situation thats an incredible gesture.

I have no knowledge of early Mustangs but this and SMUK on Facebook are great sources for information.. I know many people that use early mustangs as daily drivers, does your son have a good knowledge of cars and mechanics at all?

Real Name
    Darren

Thanks, He currently has a Morris Minor & works with me to restore & keep it on the road. He absolutely hates all modern cars (post 1980, anything with an ECU, wonder where he gets that from..haha) So to be fair the mechanicals & upkeep shouldn't be an issue.

Having difficulty at the moment finding an insurer as most classic policies won't insure under 25 year olds.
    His current Morris Insurer won't insure him at 21 on a car over 2000cc or ANY LHD car!

The mad thing is that his current insurance will allow him to drive any car that's over 25 years old third party only, regardless of value, LHD or engine size, with the owners permission??

Try Adrian Flux for insurance, I've been with them since I as 23 (28 now). I think they're known for insuring younger drivers and the pricing has always been pretty good, at least in my own experience.

Real Name
    Darren

Many thanks, will give them a try.
    He's with FJ at the mo & my policy is with RH, neither will insure him on the car under 25. I purposely bought a 6 cylinder due to insurance & his age but still proving tricky.
    Funny enough it only cost me 28 fully comp to add onto my policy, so for now until his birthday I'm covered.

Mocgb No
    Welcome to the forum, great choice of car and a fantastic surprise for your son!
    Adrian Flux will probably come up with a quote but make sure you check all paper work and haggle a bit (a lot)! My son had his insurance through them and, like all insurance companies, try it on every year but always seem willing to compromise.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Mocgb No
    We have a young classic Mustang owner in our Kent group ill ask him to post up on here

ian
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Get your hands off!

2013 Boss 302 SBY Laguna Seca

Previous

2013 Boss 302 SBY
    2013 5.0V8 GT Premium, Electronic pack, 3.73 diff, Manual, Deep Impact Blue
    2011 5.0V8 GT Premium, Electronic pack, 3.73 diff, Manual, Brembo package, Candy Apple red
    2010 4.6V8 GT Premium Black

Real Name
    Lee
    Mocgb No
    Try Brent Acre

Lee
    Current Rides -

2005 GT Auto 4.6 V8 ROUSHcharged (Stage 3)

1965 C Code Coupe 289, all original

Real Name
    John
    Mocgb No
    Sorry to hear of your situation, what a really nice thing bet you can't wait to see the look on his face at the unveiling!

Regarding insurance, as said, when i was 21 (9 years ago so there may be 1 or 2 more options now) Adrian Flux were the only ones who'd touch a 21 year old with no LHD experience.

My dad gave me his old drills on my 21st.......which packed up 6months later, sigh! haha

Real Name
    Darren

Thank you for the leads, Adrian Flux say they'll insure him but can't give me an idea of price until nearer his birthday.

I picked up a new set of American Racing Wheels & Tyres yesterday to replace the steel wheels & wire spoke trims. I know my son likes the Bullitt style so hopefully I can modify the car to his liking :-) I'll hang on to the originals just in case!

I also found a Mustang dealer in the USA that modifies the original radio's for AM/FM, Ipod, etc with bluetooth connection for phones, even with shipping it was far less than half price of anything I can find over here. Looks like I will also need a dash radio hole repair panel as its been hacked to fit an 80's radio! Will need to do a speaker upgrade too

May also need a new rear window as whoever carried out some paintwork in the past has caught it with a sander and scratched it with a zillion little swirls in one corner. Hey ho

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Gaz
    Mocgb No
    Give a false date of birth to get an idea
    2013-2016 2005 S197 V6 Black
    2017-Current 2007 S197 GT Tungsten

Real Name
    Chris
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Musti View Post
    Give a false date of birth to get an idea
    I sold a 67 with a 289 to an 18 year old guy and he paid 450 fully comp

Auto limited to 5k miles a year
    Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Real Name
    Darren

Thanks, How long ago was that? it seems VERY cheap. Do you know which company that is with?
    Many thanks