Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member by proxy :-)

Real Name
    john
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren C View Post
    Oh my....the wheels are 5 stud, fella said they'd fit our car! Not taken off a wheel trim to check...
    Er, so what parts do I now need to fit these wheels (4 to 5 stud conversion?)

Yanktankmad, can you let me know the insurance company who insured a car at £450. I've tried about everyone now, only 3 will quote a 21 year old and ALL well over £1000

Many thanks in advance
    Not a cheap or easy change over i'm afraid! You have a choice of changing out the rear drums to discs, and converting the fronts to discs as well. You can purchase the front discs to fit on the original taper on the front shafts but i'm not sure on the rears. Some do the front conversion with Granada discs as well but i've not seen a lot of these around lately.
    The other option is to have the original rear axle shafts drilled out to take 5 studs, and then either have the drums drilled to suit, or change the drums for 5 stud, but again, i cant recall if the 5 stud drums will fit over the rear when modified. Loads of owners have had them drilled for more of a choice of wheels over the years, and it works fine, but sometimes a bodge is never as good as a total replacement. Hopefully someone can advise on the rears!
    1966 200ci Convertible
    1965 Lambretta LI125S3
    1997 BMW Z3 wide bodied 2.8

Real Name
    Darren

Thanks John, that's really helpful. hopefully someone who's done it before can advise maybe on where to buy the parts, like the idea of the disc conversion but guess it doesn't end there, what about brake master cylinder, calipers, how to mount calipers etc. Tried Mustang Maniacs, but they dont really offer much help other than its cheaper to buy a V8!
    I have found that the V8 drums are bigger so cant swap them, leaving drilling the old ones out to 5 stud the only option if we stay with drums?

I have to ask.....What about spacer-converters 4-5 stud?

Is there a "how to do" thread on here?

Real Name
    john
    Mocgb No
    For your model, take a look at Mustang Steve. www.mustangsteve.com. he can supply the discs calipers and booster kit etc. There is some good information on his site, and explains the differences between the V8 and the I6.
    Its an easy conversion if you are good with cars, but does include a bit of alteration to brake pipes, proportioning valve etc.
    I think you have to weigh up the cost to do the conversion and whether its worth it if its only to change the wheels. If you want better braking, then its definitely worth it.
    I've done the conversion and was worth the cost, as i wanted better brakes as well as a better choice of wheels. its not a bad piece of kit either, not as good as some of the top branded stuff, but will suit a cruiser like a 6!
    1966 200ci Convertible
    1965 Lambretta LI125S3
    1997 BMW Z3 wide bodied 2.8

Real Name
    Chris
    Mocgb No
    Thanks, How long ago was that? it seems VERY cheap. Do you know which company that is with?
    Many thanks
    Sorry for late reply in August, A Plan I think
    Classic pre 75 Ford and Chevy addict who Works in Software industry & also part owner of a small LTD Shop that imports Cool / custom pre 1970 American Cars / Trucks https://www.horsepwrkustoms.com

Real Name
    Darren

Thanks,

Just called A Plan, then sent me from pillar to post, then back again before telling me they DO NOT insure under 25's on LHD cars!

Ok, any other ideas please?

Real Name
    Stephen
    Mocgb No
    Thanks,

Just called A Plan, then sent me from pillar to post, then back again before telling me they DO NOT insure under 25's on LHD cars!

Ok, any other ideas please?
    You could try Carol Nash insurance. Whilst just like other insurers they donít normally insure under 25ís, they are open to negotiation, exceptions if you can show the youngster is genuinely into classics, eg attends shows, helps with family members working on cars etc. Being a member of a club also helps (I guess even by proxy if you need to maintain the secret.)

Good luck

Real Name
    Darren

Thanks, but again just spent 20 minutes on the phone to Carol Nash, even asked to speak to a supervisor, no joy at all. They do not & will not insure drivers under 25 years old.

Real Name
    Darren

Has anyone here bought anything from Superior Mustang Parts? https://www.superiormustangparts.com/

I ordered & paid for some parts on October 15th & the communications have gone unanswered?

Real Name
    Mark
    Mocgb No
    Never heard of them to be honest.
    Sorry.
    Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain.
    1994 - Indy Pace Car 938/1000
    1995 - Cobra R 61/250

Real Name
    Darren

Update,

The order I placed with Superior Mustang Parts, was for a disc brake conversion kit. Apparently they don't hold stock so they pass enquiries onto ClassicDiscBrakes.com (unbeknown to me) took a bit of research to find out where my money had gone!
    Eventually after no replies to emails, i spent last night on the phone to America, tracking down my money. The chap promised me they have the kit in stock & will dispatch it this Friday.
    Bloomin rubbish service when you pay up front £1500 on 15th October & nothing happens (or is promised) until you spend a whole evening on the phone to America 3 months later.

Will let you know if it arrives