Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A return to Mustang ownership - my new '66

Real Name
    Kerry

A return to Mustang ownership - my new '66

EDIT - text corrupted somehow? will try again!!
    Last edited by disasterbus; 11-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Real Name
    Kerry

As summer ended I decided it was a good time to sell my VW Beach Buggy

I’d had it for 18 months (which is a long time for me) and loved it but it was time for a change.
    I looked at a few things to replace it – a couple of beetles, a Jag, a VW camper, an Alfa Romeo Spider and even a Saab 99 but nothing quite caught my attention until a mate mentioned that he had bought a Mustang in California and would be shipping it over.

I’d had a Mustang before and used this Forum a fair bit then, but it was a modern one, so no comparison really.

The only other Yank I’d owned was a ’64 Chevy C10 which I had before the buggy.

Last Friday I got a call to say the Mustang had arrived…………

Real Name
    Kerry

Within half an hour I was at my mate’s yard to have a look.

It’s a 1966 200ci 6 cylinder Coupe, often referred to as the ‘Plain Jane’ model. It is in surprisingly good original condition. It was in daily use right up to leaving the sunny shores of California, so isn’t something that has sat in a junkyard or field for years until someone found it.

It has some nice features – a Pony interior in good condition, period air con (have not figured out how / if it works yet), centre console and one of those new Bluetooth stereos designed to look like the original radio.

The plan is just to get it registered, give it a deep clean inside and out and just drive it as it is. I’m hoping the carpets will clean up a bit and I can find a way of moving the seat back a bit more as it’s a bit restricting for those of us with a ‘less athletic’ frame!
    'My Little Pony' arrived at Chez Disasterbus on a delivery truck one night last week, just as it was getting dark, so I didn't have much chance to look it over. I've had a quick look over the car and am really pleased so far.
    It's not registered yet, so a 300 yard drive to the end of the road and back is all I've done but it starts / stops / steers and changes gear as it should.

Only found a few minor faults so far - horn doesn't work, windscreen washer bag and jets are there but no pipe connecting them, locks are a bit sticky but may free up with some lube, otherwise already found someone with replacements in stock in the UK for sensible money (CM Frost Automotive).

Real Name
    Kerry

Driver's legroom in the '66 is notoriously tight, so I've ordered some seat rail extenders which should give about 2 more inches of leg room.

Other than that it wants a set of tyres - they have loads of tread but are cracking with age and from the California sun. I found an old invoice suggesting they are probably 12 years old.
    Original tyres are 195/75 x 14 which seems a hard size to find. Far more readily available is 205/70 x 14, which is almost exactly the same diameter and only 10mm wider. So the hunt is on for a set of those, ideally with a whitewall / white stripe or white lettering.

Had a couple of hours free today and it wasn’t actually raining so had time to give ‘My Little Pony’ a quick wash and hoover out.
    Looks better already.

Found a couple of weird items under the back seat – a token for ‘one domestic beer’ at a club in Fair Oak, California and a hippy peace symbol, which seeing as this is a 60’s California car shouldn’t be surprising – it’s now the new keyring for the Mustang keys.

Paint is sun faded and a few different shades of what I think is Tahoe Turquoise? (looking at a 1966 paint options chart on-line). I like it that way and just want to preserve it as it is – any suggestions on the best way to do that would be welcome. As they say – it took 50 years to look like that!

I might change the carpet, which is fairly tatty and sun-bleached, but the seats are all fine.
    I managed to track down the last owner in California via Facebook. Last night I got an e-mail from him really surprised that the car was now in the UK. He filled in a little background info. He'd had the car for 20 years and was the third owner. He confirmed it had never been crashed and had been well looked after and that it had all new brakes this year and the engine was re-built 5000 miles ago.

All good news so far. Just need to get through the excessively complex DVLA form to get it registered.

I think I can do this without getting it MOT’d as it is obviously old enough to be exempt?

Car looks great

Dont be surprised if that stereo doesn't work, if its custom auto sound they rarely do

That's an aftermarket air con unit, possibly dealer installed.

Being a California car it may be functional

Nice find. ENJOY.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Real Name
    Barney
    Mocgb No
    -
    Welcome back! Car looks a beauty.

Usual preservative suspects are Ankor Wax, Gibbs Brand and Owatrol Oil.
    Barney

...1966 Mustang slowly but surely becoming a Trans-Am tribute

1966 Mustang Trans-Am
    1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTi track toy
    1974 Ford Econoline E100

Mocgb No
    That's a nice looking car and a nice colour. I don't think the aircon is of the factory style and the centre console looks like a modified non aircon version. Not what the cup holders are but anything that makes these cars look a little different to each other is good.
    Allan

Real Name
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by pmustang View Post
    Air Con is non factory
    Console is factory and cut for air con, civvy at front gets removed
    Extra console is a hump hugger unit sitting on factory console.
    Thanks for that - useful to know.

I’ve got some service parts on order and I’m waiting on HMRC / DVLA to get the Mustang registered and on the road but with any car there is always something needs doing.
    The air filter box was, quite frankly, minging.

Appearances suggested it may have been chrome once, a very long time ago, but unlike the rest of the car time had not been kind to it.

The inside and baseplate was even worse……

Half an hour later having used only screwed up tinfoil and water the air filter box looks like this…..

Not perfect, but a big improvement. The base plate needed a wire brush and some Hammerite, but I’m pleased with that too.

I had thought I’d have to buy a replacement aftermarket air filter box so that saved a few quid and more importantly kept the original parts on the car.

You may have noticed the ‘Sprint 200’ sticker. A bit of internet research suggests that:

Apparently in 1966, they couldn’t make V8 mustangs fast enough to cope with the demand, but sales of the 6 cylinder cars was slower.

To try and increase sales, Ford sold 6 cylinder cars through certain dealers with an ‘enhancement kit’ and labelled them as ‘Sprint 200’ models.
    They didn’t go any faster but had a centre console and a chrome (rather than painted) air filter.

Marketing for the 6 cylinder cars seemed to directed towards women as a Sprint poster on display in a dealership in 1966 pictured the car with a woman driver and the strap line “Six and the Single Woman”.

Fortunately I’m fairly secure in my masculinity so still feel able to drive the ‘women’s version’ !!

Mocgb No
    That looks really good. It is much better to keep the original parts in my opinion, a far eastern repop one made from old coke tins could be spotted a mile away. Maybe just paint the centre piece where the rust is worst and then lacquer the whole thing.
    Allan

Civvy = Cubby in my post above

Lovely. Job on the air cleaner

Tell me about the tin foil trick
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by pmustang View Post
    Civvy = Cubby in my post above

Lovely. Job on the air cleaner

Tell me about the tin foil trick
    Hi Peter,

It works on the same principle as wire wool but without the scratching due to the greater and smoother surface area. My grandad taught me to do it many years ago. He always polished faded and pitted chrome with scrunched up newspaper. Unfortunately the ink they use today doesn't work nearly as well. It used to be amazing how much gleam you could get out of "dead" chrome.

Sometimes the old methods can still keep up with modern ways.👍

Cheers. PETER

Real Name
    Kerry

Managed to find and clean off the manufacturer's build plate on the Mustang and de-code it.

Turns out it was originally Wimbledon White with an Aqua Interior (same as the one currently fitted?) was built on 28 Feb 1966 at the San Jose Ford plant in California. It was sold via the dealership in San Jose and the first 2 owners were from that area. About 25 years ago it was sold to the 3rd owner near Sacramento (about 120 miles from San Jose) and stayed with him until being imported to the UK last month.

Very much a California Car then!

I like the current colour, which I think is a period correct 'Tahoe Turquoise' but if I did get it painted I might be tempted to go back to the Original Wimbledon White. Pics of the two colours for comparison:

Mocgb No
    I rather like the current colour.

Changing a cars colour is such a difficult decision.

2005 GT- 'Big Stang'
    Moved on 1969 302 Fastback - 'ASBO'
    Past but not forgotten 1974 Mustang II - 'Pink Pony'. 1991 Firebird - 'Big Bird'

The Tahoe Turquoise is period correct I think. I have a California 66 289 and the plate decodes as this colour.

It was one of the reasons I bought mine.