Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the plunge!

Real Name
    omega1

Taking the plunge!

Hello all!

So I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge and fulfilling a childhood dream and getting myself a Mustang, from a young age I saw an old one in a terrible state and wanted to rescue it but didn't have the time or money to even contemplate taking that one and now, many many years later, after a trip to the US and completing Route 66 in a Mustang, I want to actually do it.

I'd be using the car as my everyday vehicle, do not have the luxury of having it just for weekend/special occasions and I guess I wanted to get a view from other owners as to what it's like living with the Mustang as an every day car in the UK, covering items such as cost, size, etc...

I'm looking at getting a new (or near new) 5.0, potentially a 2017 model.

Obviously I know what the fuel economy is like, I'm not buying it for that :-) But I'm wondering what it is like in terms of an every day car. I know it's a big car, I'm also confused in terms of the road tax, somewhere I see £555, other places say £140, so it would be great to know what the real figures are.

I'd also be interested in knowing what people are paying for insurance, of course I know that this greatly depends on many factors such as NCB, age, etc...

I guess I don't want to go ahead with this and then find out that I've made a big mistake and it's a nightmare to live with on a daily basis. My daily commute is around 50 miles and I do 1,000 motorway miles every month.

Comments would be very welcome!

Thank you!

Mocgb No
    I have two Mustangs, a 2010 S197 4.6GT and a 1965 289 coupe. Both are LHD. As an all year round daily driver the S197 is the best, it cruises really well and is any bit as good as other modern cars. Its a little heavy on fuel, costs £255 to tax and is a little heavy on insurance as I didn't want a mileage limitation on it. A lot of mainstream companies wouldn't touch the LHD and import. The 65 gets used a lot and that is very cheap to run, no tax, no MoT, cheap insurance at 5000 miles/yr. Fuel is the only real expense at around 17mpg on decent runs. If you are buying a modern RHD then you should have no issues at all, it will be the same as any other performance car.
    Allan

Real Name
    omega1

Hi Allan R,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, this would be a RHD 2017 or 2018 model. LHD would push it too far into the 'not for every day use' camp. I'd also be looking at no mileage limitations as I do a lot of miles. Apprecaite the comments on fuel economy, that's one of the things I know I'll have to get used to!

Thanks.

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    David
    Mocgb No
    Size wise it is no worse than a Mondeo or 5 series. It's a bit wide for B road blasting; you're better off with a Fiesta ST or dare I say it an MX-5 if that's your thing.

Cost wise it is not a cheap eurobox run about. It'll need expensive tyres (guessing ~£250 a corner) and lots of fuel (23-27 real world MPG?). Servicing will be a little more than your average Focus too but cheaper than an equivalent BMW M car no doubt - say £500+ assuming nothing major comes up like brakes etc. - others will confirm I am sure.

Its a modern car so will start, drive and stop like one - so it'll be no more difficult to live with than a Mondeo other than the rear head room is a little lacking by comparison and the boot too. Parking will be a pain as you'll worry about car park dings ha!

For insurance I recommend you spend 15 minutes on a comparison site to give yourself an idea of what it'll cost you for your exact circumstances. It could be anything from £400 to £3000 so anything we say will be meaningless.

If the few hundred on tax each year is a deciding factor then I would suggest you don't have enough money to enjoy the car. Running it on a shoe string will just mean you'll avoid using it due to the fuel bill as mid-20's MPG isn't fun on a budget, especially with your mileage and will make your tax bill look tiny by comparison !

If you can afford it, do it.

Real Name
    Ian
    Mocgb No
    My advice would be to Go For It! Lifeís too short to miss any opportunities if you can afford & justify them...

A 2017MY (even if registered in 2018) is only £140 RFL per year and you can buy a Ford Sevice Plan to budget for your servicing costs - I did! Yes, tyres and brakes will wear out quicker than on a car with less than 400bhp, but thatís the balanced view you have to take. Also, in my experience, these items wear out in direct proportion to how much pressure you put on the right pedal.

One final point - a 2018MY looks great (and Iím sure has many great features) but at £8K more than a pre reg/late low mileage 2017MY you could use the cash to run and enjoy your car!

Hope this helps..?

Real Name
    Richard
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Iddingtons View Post
    Size wise it is no worse than a Mondeo or 5 series. It's a bit wide for B road blasting; you're better off with a Fiesta ST or dare I say it an MX-5 if that's your thing.

Cost wise it is not a cheap eurobox run about. It'll need expensive tyres (guessing ~£250 a corner) and lots of fuel (23-27 real world MPG?). Servicing will be a little more than your average Focus too but cheaper than an equivalent BMW M car no doubt - say £500+ assuming nothing major comes up like brakes etc. - others will confirm I am sure.

Its a modern car so will start, drive and stop like one - so it'll be no more difficult to live with than a Mondeo other than the rear head room is a little lacking by comparison and the boot too. Parking will be a pain as you'll worry about car park dings ha!

For insurance I recommend you spend 15 minutes on a comparison site to give yourself an idea of what it'll cost you for your exact circumstances. It could be anything from £400 to £3000 so anything we say will be meaningless.

If the few hundred on tax each year is a deciding factor then I would suggest you don't have enough money to enjoy the car. Running it on a shoe string will just mean you'll avoid using it due to the fuel bill as mid-20's MPG isn't fun on a budget, especially with your mileage and will make your tax bill look tiny by comparison !

If you can afford it, do it.
    ^^^^^^ this

It's about the size of my neighbours Audi A6. I've averaged 24MPG over 10k miles. Mustangs are £140/yr tax if registered after April 1st 2017 and where the list price including factory options (but not including on the road fees) was less than £40k on the date it was registered.

Go for it !!

Real Name
    omega1

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not necessarily running on a budget, just wanted to get some views on people that have one and use it as a day to day car.

I understand the cost implications in terms of fuel consumption and road tax, I guess it was more the practicalities of using it as a day to day car.

The questions around road tax were more a confusion I had more than cost related.

I currently have a Merc so used to high running costs, just wanted to know what hey are like to live with.

I already know I'd be getting half the MPG I get now :-D

I'm stuck between not wanting to regret never getting one and it being a nightmare as a daily usage car...

Thanks for your comments/feedback.

Mocgb No
    Make the plunge, those of us here did, and we love it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Get your hands off!

2013 Boss 302 SBY Laguna Seca

Previous

2013 Boss 302 SBY
    2013 5.0V8 GT Premium, Electronic pack, 3.73 diff, Manual, Deep Impact Blue
    2011 5.0V8 GT Premium, Electronic pack, 3.73 diff, Manual, Brembo package, Candy Apple red
    2010 4.6V8 GT Premium Black

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    David
    Mocgb No
    Out of interest which Mercedes do you have now?

Real Name
    omega1

Out of interest which Mercedes do you have now?
    It's a C220. Was looking at a C63/E63 as an alternative to the Mustang, but feel I'd regret it!

I guess expanding on that, the feeling was that I'd get the performance and 'thrill' from the C/E63 and it would would be a little more practical as an everyday car than the Mustang would be.

I'm a bit undecided at the moment (as I'm sure you can see).

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    David
    Mocgb No
    The latest C Class is basically the same size as the Mustang so I'm not really sure why you'd think a modern Mustang is impractical to live with by comparison.

Having said that if you are you looking at a C63 saloon or estate and you have teenage children or like to carry lots of luggage/stuff then I'd stick with the Mercedes as the Mustang is a 2+2 at the end of the day.

I think the Mustang is basically a C63 for a lot less money and with a sports exhaust added will sound just as good; Assuming you are comparing nearly new to nearly new and not to a 5 year old+ C63 which would be cheaper to buy but more expensive to run.

You'll never run a Mustang for diesel money but then with anything like the C63 or the Mustang buying the car is always the easy bit. Maintaining and fueling it month to month is what adds up.

Real Name
    John
    Mocgb No
    I've had my 2017 GT since June and use it a lot (almost daily). I really can't fault it as a daily car and this includes dropping a little one off at nursery before work too (do get some odd looks from the mum's in their Kia.....SUV.....whatevers)

MPG- I get about 22MPG but my commute is short(ish) and stop/start 50% of it, but on a long motorway run have seen 33MPG .As you've said, to be expected really, it is a Mustang after all!
    Road Tax- as others have mentioned only £140 if registered after April 17 and less than 40k (love this, is less than my Astra!)
    Insurance- mine was only £100 more than my 2009 Vauxhall Astra 1.6
    Servicing- doesn't seem too bad, tyres are as you'd expect more expensive than your usual run around but the rest of the parts seem ok.

Just two things to note:
    - I'd definitely get rear parking sensor/camera option, 100% worth it every time I put it on my slightly tight driveway or park in a multi story car park (rear visibility is not great for this)
    - The Pirelli P Zero tyres that come fitted standard are not great in the wet, they give me no confidence to drive in a "spirited" fashion in this weather at all when they wheel spin quite often without trying or changing gear, especially when cold. Have heard Michellin Pilot Sport (think that's the name) mentioned as a good replacement when the time comes.

Overall, i'd say go for it! It still makes me smile every drive and I love it.

Real Name
    omega1

The latest C Class is basically the same size as the Mustang so I'm not really sure why you'd think a modern Mustang is impractical to live with by comparison.
    I guess that was the reason for posting here really, to get that understanding of what other people that have purchased one think. It certainly looks and feels bigger, I guess I haven't looked at the actual sizes.

buying the car is always the easy bit. Maintaining and fueling it month to month is what adds up.
    Spot on! Completely agree with that comment.

Real Name
    omega1

Quote Originally Posted by john2502 View Post
    I've had my 2017 GT since June and use it a lot (almost daily). I really can't fault it as a daily car and this includes dropping a little one off at nursery before work too (do get some odd looks from the mum's in their Kia.....SUV.....whatevers)

MPG- I get about 22MPG but my commute is short(ish) and stop/start 50% of it, but on a long motorway run have seen 33MPG .As you've said, to be expected really, it is a Mustang after all!
    Road Tax- as others have mentioned only £140 if registered after April 17 and less than 40k (love this, is less than my Astra!)
    Insurance- mine was only £100 more than my 2009 Vauxhall Astra 1.6
    Servicing- doesn't seem too bad, tyres are as you'd expect more expensive than your usual run around but the rest of the parts seem ok.

Just two things to note:
    - I'd definitely get rear parking sensor/camera option, 100% worth it every time I put it on my slightly tight driveway or park in a multi story car park (rear visibility is not great for this)
    - The Pirelli P Zero tyres that come fitted standard are not great in the wet, they give me no confidence to drive in a "spirited" fashion in this weather at all when they wheel spin quite often without trying or changing gear, especially when cold. Have heard Michellin Pilot Sport (think that's the name) mentioned as a good replacement when the time comes.

Overall, i'd say go for it! It still makes me smile every drive and I love it.
    Thanks John, really useful post.

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    David
    Mocgb No
    Yeah, if you look up the sizes the Mustang is marginally longer but only about 4.7m Vs. 4.6 in the Mercedes. Width wise there isn't much in it.

Front passenger room is pretty similar but the rear is compromised by the roof line.

My winter vehicle is a Ford Ranger at 5.4m long and ~24MPG and it's easy to live with everyday - no harder than a Focus and I never give it a second thought.

My daily summer vehicle is my 1965 Mustang, which also completes the school run and takes me to work and back every day....but my commute is only about a 20 mile round trip. The only time it can be a pain is due to the single speed wiper which I plan to switch out this winter....oh and the fact it is LOUD on a long journey.

So a modern Mustang will be no hassle at all to live with. I used to have a 350z as a daily year round and the lack of boot or rear seats could sometimes be a pain but neither issue applies to the Mustang by comparison.

I agree with the point on a rear camera though, visibility is poor but then I think it is on most modern metal. Front / rear sensors are always useful. It's worth hunting one out that's fully loaded - there weren't many options so may as well have them.