Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services

Thread: First ever '68 Mustang Coupe

Real Name
    Ben Wilson

First ever '68 Mustang Coupe

Well what a ride it's been. '68 J code 302 with Edlebrock Carb, power steering, power brakes and air lift rear suspension.

Sat for 7 years, leaks galore but no rust. Finally got me a decent (ish) mustang after years of dreaming. First drive was rough with the battery going dead and having charging issues leaving me stranded in the rain last night.
    But wow, do I love it still. Any advice or things to look out for in the future with these cars? and is it normal to have a large deadzone in the steering?

Based in Colchester btw.

Real Name
    Lee
    Mocgb No
    Welcome Ben

Lee
    Current Rides -

2005 GT Auto 4.6 V8 ROUSHcharged (Stage 3)

1965 C Code Coupe 289, all original

Yes the steering boxes can have a dead spot after fifty years. A Borgeson kit or a rebuilt box from chockostang in the states is the solution..

If you just imported the car I suggest swapping for a new battery. Most of our imports arrive with a bad battery.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Mocgb No
    My advice is to drive it and sort the issues as they come up. You will soon have a very reliable car.
    Allan

Real Name
    Ben Wilson

amazing thanks guys, not imported, just not used. It has a leaking diff, leaking steering control valve, leaking transmission and leaking power steering pump so that is probably contributing too.
    I have checked power wise and it is the alternator as soon as I disconnect the neg it stalls, even jumping the regulator pins. New one turns up today so hopefully I can get this running.

If not I know where to go now, thanks peeps.

Mocgb No
    You can get new diff seals from US Automotive for less than a tenner. They also do a re-build kit for the power steering (pump and valve) and it is quite simple to do if you are ok with fixing older cars. You can buy new voltage regulators quite cheap so try that first.Sort out the leaks otherwise you will be fitting new floors.
    Allan

Real Name
    Stew

Welcome Ben....