Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate 289 Engine

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

Crate 289 Engine

So after ongoing issues, it appears that the 65 convertible that I had heating problems with after having heads removed and skimmed and refitted it appears to be is in fact a porous cylinder in block and I am now looking at a replacement crate engine.

Any advice on best place and price to locate this would be appreciated.

#gutted#skint

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

289 v 302

Another thought on buying 302 vs 289 understand these are a newer engine and also less prone to leakage as do not have spilt seal on crank and also roller rockers

Real Name
    Barnaby

Cheaper option may be to sleeve the block. I will have a spare 289 block available in Jan. had planned on using it to build a Boss 302 engine to sell

Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by mps1 View Post
    Another thought on buying 302 vs 289 understand these are a newer engine and also less prone to leakage as do not have spilt seal on crank and also roller rockers
    I thought it was only early 289's that had the split seal. Check out Real Steel for crate engine prices.

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/

To be honest if you were to be rebuilding your original engine the cost of the parts and machining will bring it pretty close to that of a crate engine anyway.
    Allan

Just find out what you need to change on the crate engine to fit it into a classic

Years ago I bought a Ford Motorsport crate engine and was aghast at what needed to be changed to put it in a 68 Coupe,

Not saying thatís still how it is but worth researching.
    Please visit our Classic Mustang for sale site: www.classicamericancarsales.co.uk
    We stock a large selection of freshly imported Classic 1960s Mustangs. Fastbacks, Convertibles and Coupes. Cars are in stock in the Southeast of England with more shipping from the USA at all times. Other interesting American cars also stocked. CSRP disk brake setups sold

Crate 289/302

Just a thought.
    I have done both. Fitted a crate Real Steel 302 to a 66 Mustang with aftermarket heads and rebuilt a 289 with aftermarket heads for another 66. Was disappointed with the performance of both. Lot of bother for very little difference. If I did it again I would drop in stroker rotating assembly which would be more bang for virtually the same bucks.
    Eddie

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

reslleve

Quote Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
    Cheaper option may be to sleeve the block. I will have a spare 289 block available in Jan. had planned on using it to build a Boss 302 engine to sell
    I can see the actual resleeve may be relatively cheap £300 but by the time all the other costs are in then concerned that i will have spent a lot and no assurance on rest of the engine once rebuilt

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

stroker

Quote Originally Posted by EddieCross View Post
    Just a thought.
    I have done both. Fitted a crate Real Steel 302 to a 66 Mustang with aftermarket heads and rebuilt a 289 with aftermarket heads for another 66. Was disappointed with the performance of both. Lot of bother for very little difference. If I did it again I would drop in stroker rotating assembly which would be more bang for virtually the same bucks.
    Eddie
    do not know much bout this what is the difference

Real Name
    Gary
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by mps1 View Post
    do not know much bout this what is the difference
    About 150 bhp
    Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

That's a fairly

Early car, how many bolts on the bell housing, five or six ? The engineering works I used to sleeve a couple of cylinders, then pressure tested the block for leaks. Do blocks become porous over time, or has your block been rebored. The rear mains seal will not interfere with the water ways, the one piece seal helps prevent oil leaks more common with the two piece seal.
    Best wishes.
    Last edited by ZOOMZOOMZOOM; 14-12-2018 at 09:13 PM.

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

dont know

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOMZOOMZOOM View Post
    Early car, how many bolts on the bell housing, five or six ? The engineering works I used to sleeve a couple of cylinders, then pressure tested the block for leaks. Do blocks become porous over time, or has your block been rebored. The rear mains seal will not interfere with the water ways, the one piece seal helps prevent oil leaks more common with the two piece seal.
    Best wishes.
    To be honest i really do not know what has been done to the engine, i know it was rebuilt about 8-9 years ago

Real Name
    Barnaby

If you need 5 bolt which are the harder to find ones now then let me know. I've got a contact in the states who I use for core engines and he has about 8 of them from memory

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

5 bolt

If you need 5 bolt which are the harder to find ones now then let me know. I've got a contact in the states who I use for core engines and he has about 8 of them from memory
    Thanks i will need to check- i thought 5 bolt were the earlier ones

the best option i can see at the moment is a crate engine from roadcraft turnkey 230HP or 300HP long without all the ancillaries, more expensive than US but only a few miles from me on south coast so guess if problem this will be better and by the time i have paid tax and import and shipping etc then probably not far off;

no expert but compression ratio 8:5-1 for 230Hp, guess any option will be better than current situation as i have had the car since august and never really got to drive it yet for one reason or another and just about financially crippled me.

(sorry for moaning)

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

engine build

can you build me one? how much and how long?

MOCGB Paid Member
    Real Name
    Mick
    Mocgb No

Dispose of old engine

If I buy another crate engine complete with most ancillaries anybody interested in the old engine I guess if you either have another block or want to sleeve it could be useful it had only done 5k since it was rebuilt in last 8 years and just had heads skimmed and pressure tested. May have carbs inlet manifold water pump etc all available if I go down the crate route.