Mustang insurance from Cherished Vehicle Insurance Services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security ideas...

Real Name
    Paul
    Mocgb No

Security ideas...

Hi all,

Obviously there is NO security on classic Mustangs!

What are people's experiences around this?

I mean, stuff like steering wheel locks and stuff are just junk right?
    The locks on classics are not worth locking.....

Being a new owner, i don't know...........do people respect your classic or what?
    If going out for the day and parking in a public place, what to do?

Firstly to stop theft from the car........secondly to stop theft OF the car!

Mocgb No
    Touch wood I have never had an issue. Clearly the first thing is about deciding where not to leave the car.

I don't think that steering locks are junk as they will be a deterrent to the opportunist. I ended up putting an eye bolt in the floor fixed to a chain that I wrap around the steering wheel and padlock. OK someone can undo the wheel or hacksaw through it but how far do you go? Nowadays I believe there are steering wheel locks that cover the wheel that are quite secure. I also have a hidden ignition switch so the motor won't crank and also the ignition is dead. This said without bonnet locks these cars can be easily hot wired. Removing the rotor arm is one way but its a pain to do, especially in the dark. Yes the door locks are crap and with the quarterlights it would take about a second to get in the car. If you are worried about leaving it in your garage or home parking area a wheel clamp would be best.
    Allan

Real Name
    Idiot
    Mocgb No
    Disklok are good, we have two of them, they can be made even better with a few little mods. The first thing you would need to make secure is your bonnet as once in there it doesn't take long to start your car. Don't tell anyone I don't have any on the Mustang and don't really worry about it, mind you I don't really leave it anywhere that makes me worry.
    On the other hand the old Land Rover has many such security items bolted to it, even then a rechargeable grinder probably wouldn't take long to get through them all!
    Only so much you can do, if they want it they will have it.

1966 Coupe: 1995-
    1966 Land Rover Series 2a: 2012-
    2005 Mustang GT 2014-
    2007 California Special Replica: 2010-2014

Real Name
    Andy

If someone is going to steal a classic, they will come prepared.

So, why not go for something to help you find the car? With mobile tech these days, you can always make a cheap tracker from an old phone that you can geofence so it pings you if it is moved
    Andy

'Note left on fridge door - I have gone to work in the garage for an hour. If an hour has passed, please reread the above note'

Currently own....... (but selling some of the two wheeled beasties)
    1966 289 Mustang Coupe
    2001 Triumph Bonneville 790
    2009 Triumph Speed Triple 1050

1965 Triumph Tiger 100SC SOLD
    1969 Triumph Trophy TR6P SOLD

and a dog.....................not for sale, you wouldn't want him, he smells

Real Name
    Paul
    Mocgb No
    Thanks for the suggestions, some good ideas there......

1964.5 Coupe 289 V8 Guardsman Blue

Real Name
    Idiot
    Mocgb No
    You can buy very cheap trackers, how good they are in the real world I don't know but there is plenty of reviews on YouTube.

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Real Name
    Steve
    Mocgb No
    I have a cheapest tracker on the classic, kept in a garage away from home, purchased on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the whole it does its job, including giving a low battery signal via text message about 3.00am normally. You just phone the number on the SIM card and it will send back a text message with google locations and remaining battery, can also set up geofencing and overspeed alerts.

Also have a hidden cut out switch which allows the car to turn over but will not start.
    Editor Round Up
    Photo Albums on Flickr
    2011 ROUSH Stage 2 Mustang
    1964.5 Vintage Burgundy 164hp 260ci V8 Convertible

Real Name
    Paul
    Mocgb No
    Thanks G19 good tip!

Mocgb No
    I have a tracker for my 92 year old dad as he has some issues and was going out and wondering around on buses getting lost. With the one I have it can take up to 2 hours to let you know it has gone outside the set perimeter fence when in battery saving mode. If I set it to tell me immediately it really uses up the battery and has to be charged daily. Just check yours is telling you quickly otherwise the car could be 1/2 way up the M1 before the tracker wakes up.
    Allan

Mocgb No
    Hi

I leave my Classic 65 all over the place during the day but rarely overnight.

I do lock the doors despite it being a bit of a waste of time as if the worst happened to leave it unlocked would be a bit embarrassing.

I do have one of these to use when I feel itís more vulnerable - can be fitted to clutch or brake.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182787450826
    Current Mustang Red 1965 Coupe - Previous Mustangs 2008 S197, 1965 Coupe

Real Name
    john
    Mocgb No
    Hi Paul i have put this up before this will stop the car moving so gives the element of surprise and panic, If the alarm goes of they don't give a shxt, disk lock or brake peddle lock can be cut of with a cordless disc cutter, Cut out switch car can be over come with a wire and crocodile clips. Meck lock hold's the pressure on the brake system so when they use the brake's they don't release you would have to snap the brake line's to move then drive with no brakes so 90% of people will panic get out and run.

Meck Lock System is a patented proven anti theft system that is sold world wide. When developing Meck Lock System in 1987 the designer wanted to produce a system that actually stopped the theft happening rather producing another annoying alarm or electronic system that can be easily by passed. Realising that if you can stop the vehicle being driven away the designer developed a mechanical system that achieves this design requirement by isolating the hydraulic or pneumatic system. This simple but effective idea has seen Meck Lock not only survive over the last 16 years while many security companies went under but actually increase world wide sales year on year by an average of 30%.

oxford_017

Real Name
    Paul
    Mocgb No
    Interesting John, never heard of that before thanks....

Real Name
    Idiot
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by 68gtcs View Post
    Hi Paul i have put this up before this will stop the car moving so gives the element of surprise and panic, If the alarm goes of they don't give a shxt, disk lock or brake peddle lock can be cut of with a cordless disc cutter, Cut out switch car can be over come with a wire and crocodile clips. Meck lock hold's the pressure on the brake system so when they use the brake's they don't release you would have to snap the brake line's to move then drive with no brakes so 90% of people will panic get out and run.

Meck Lock System is a patented proven anti theft system that is sold world wide. When developing Meck Lock System in 1987 the designer wanted to produce a system that actually stopped the theft happening rather producing another annoying alarm or electronic system that can be easily by passed. Realising that if you can stop the vehicle being driven away the designer developed a mechanical system that achieves this design requirement by isolating the hydraulic or pneumatic system. This simple but effective idea has seen Meck Lock not only survive over the last 16 years while many security companies went under but actually increase world wide sales year on year by an average of 30%.

oxford_017

How does it work, are the brakes on all the time (when it is activated) or does it just not release after someone has pressed the brake pedal?

2005 Mustang GT 2014-

Real Name
    john
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
    How does it work, are the brakes on all the time (when it is activated) or does it just not release after someone has pressed the brake pedal?
    You can apply the brake when you leave the car and the pressure stays on or if the car is stolen when they apply the brake at a turning or junction the brakes stay on so that's when the panic sets in as people take notice. I see this in a car about 35 years ago as the thieves had done a runner and left the car in the middle of the road at a junction.

Real Name
    Roger
    Mocgb No
    Quote Originally Posted by 68gtcs View Post

oxford_017
    Yes, I like the look of this... but I can't see anywhere that actually sells it, except to the heavy plant trade. Which I'm not.

edit - hang on, just found one:

https://www.landroverdefendersecurit...king-mechanism

Gulp!

Also not sure this would be hugely effective - you really don't have to have a functioning clutch to drive a vehicle, as many Land Rover owners will tell you. If it was on the brakes, mind - that would be a different matter. But that's illegal, if you tell anyone. Or the MOT tester spots it.
    Last edited by rsk289; 21-12-2018 at 11:05 AM.